Tuesday 18 November 2008

Friends with the city

A title by Unknown Lady in Monmouth Coffee,
A Story by j.f. hawkins

There was something down at Southbank on Saturday night. The night you were working. It was a fire work display for Guy Fawkes. It was called, uh, I don't know, something very English and marginally lame.... Something like "I fancy Fire".

You know? The sort of title you felt sorry for; you knew what it was going for, but it didn't quite make it. You can imagine the shape of the person who named it can't you? The sort of person who wouldn't even think to have an element of liberation or danger in a title for something to do with a glorified failed-arsonist.

I Fancy Fire? More then marginally-lame I suppose.

Anyway, I decided to go down and have a look, it didn't seem to bother me that I was alone. You know the type of crowd that fireworks will draw; everyone is happier when the fire lights up the sky. I wondered why, but I guess it's better in the sky, than on the buildings. It's not a forced happy either. It's a 'Saturday-night-in-front-of-the-TV-with-the-whole-family-after-a-massive-dinner' type of happy.

Everyone was oo-ing and ah-ing; you'd joke with the person next to you, even if you didn't know them. We all became very friendly really. Yes. I felt like I was friends with the whole city that night. You'd have loved it

That is, I felt like friends with the whole city up until the point I got on the tube. No friends there- not even if you're with your friends. There's no Friends on the tube. Ever.

Early Spring, that's the most beautiful time of year. It a good stroll-around-the-city time of year. It's beautiful. It really is. There is so much happening. I wish you were able to come with me. I wish we could share some of the moments and memories I have. You'd love them, all the experiences I mean. This city is truly spectacular. So much to do in such a short life.

It would be nice to have some company while I see the things I do. It's strange. Things are brighter and more memorable when there is a friend to laugh with. I wish you were with me when some funny happens; like when a beautiful painting is made by someone called Fanny or something.

You'd laugh the most I think.

I'd love to hear your laugh when I see the things I do.

But... I've become better friends with the city.

So, I suppose that's ok.

jf. x

No comments: